Can Mold Make You Sick?

Have you started to experience an array of health problems and symptoms that have come upon you rapidly and without explanation? There can be several factors in your environment that can impact your health and trigger health issues within an individual, such as a sick person in the same environment, exposure to an allergen that is floating in the air, or even some type of invading source such as mold that has developed and produced within the confined indoor air space.

Mold is a fairly common fungus that is found inside a variety of environments including outdoors and indoors. This type of fungus comes in an array of different species, which can range in size, color, appearance, and health effects on individuals exposed to the mold growth.

The growth and development of mold inside an indoor environment like a home, can trigger allergic-like symptoms in some individuals that are susceptible to this known mold allergen. The mold exposure can make you feel sick, and it can be a puzzling to determine the cause of this illness – as mold can sometimes be hard to detect.

How can you know for sure that mold is the culprit of your sickness and how can you remove mold/mold spores from the air of your personal indoor environment?

How Do You Know if Mold is Making You Sick?

Identifying mold and mold growth indoors can be a difficult thing to observe, as mold has a way of creeping up unexpectantly and suddenly. Some of the easiest ways to observe mold growth is through visual discoloration on surfaces, a distinctive musty odor that takes place in the environment, and certain health symptoms that can trigger in individuals that are exposed to the mold.

A major trigger of illness from mold is from the spores that are produced into the air from mold, in an act to reproduce and form new mold within the environment. Mold spores are a known health hazard, as they are tiny microscopic spores that can easily become ingested into the deepest recess of the lungs if it enters into the human body. This can result in symptoms that will affect the health of a human and trigger what some may confuse as an ‘illness’

What are the Symptoms of Mold Exposure?

Mold and mold spores contain significantly contaminate the environment in which the fungi are growing in, particularly affecting the indoor air quality within this space. When an individual is exposed to this tainted environment and breathing in the contaminated air it can impact the health of these people exposed.

The symptoms of mold exposure can include the following:

  • Fatigue
  • Weakness
  • Headache
  • Shortness of Breath
  • Respiratory issues
  • Red eyes
  • Dizziness
  • Nose and throat irritation 

How to Remove Mold Spore in the Air

The mold spores that are present in the air, as we discussed earlier, can significantly impact the health of those exposed to these mold spores. After the surface mold has been remediated by a mold remediation specialist, the next step will be to mitigate contaminants from the mold such as the mold spores from the air. The best way to combat these harmful mold spores is through the use of an air purifier for mold.

The EnviroKlenz UV Air Purifier is a highly effective mold removal air purifier that utilizes a combination of patented earth mineral technology and UVC lights to effectively kill any collected microorganisms (such as bacteria, viruses, and mold spores). The air purifier contains the patented earth mineral air filter, along with a hospital-grade HEPA filter. The HEPA filter will capture fine particulate matter including mold spores on top of the filter, and above this HEPA filter the UVC lights are located above it to provide a high efficiency of kill to these mold spores.

EnviroKlenz UV Air Purifier Effectiveness Against Mold

The following experiment was set up to illustrate the impact of the UVC light in the EnviroKlenz Air System.  Two EnviroKlenz Air Systems were set up in the same indoor air environment with HEPA filters installed.  HEPA filters are designed to capture a broad range of particulate mater 0.3 microns in size and larger.

In one system the UVC light bulbs were turned on, while in the other system UVC lights were not used.  The systems were allowed to collect particulate matter for 1 week.  After the week of collection ended, the systems were turned off and the HEPA surface was sampled with sterile collection swaps and streaked on to the nutrient agar plates (MEA).  The plates were then allowed to incubate for 10 days.

In the image above, the plates are observed.  The MEA plate on the left has mold growth.  This was the sample collected from the system without the UVC lights running, while the sample on the right shows the UVC light being on killed the mold and the resulting plate with no growth observed.

The Cleanest Air
Your Home Has Ever Had.

EnviroKlenz Mobile Air System
(Standard Model)


EnviroKlenz Mobile Air System
(UV-C Model)


WordPress Video Lightbox Plugin