Is Black Mold Dangerous?

Have you ever heard of the ominous and potentially dangerous ‘black mold’ that can develop inside of a home? Mold is a fungus that grows in both indoor and outdoor environments and when it develops inside a personal indoor environment, such as a home or office building, the potential risks to the home, the health of those exposed to this mold, and the air quality within this home can be heightened.

Mold and the different species of mold are vast, as there are hundreds to hundreds of thousands of species known of this fungus. Amongst these vast species of mold, one of the most notable and feared mold species is known as Stachybotrys (also known as black mold). Black mold is a species of mold that can produce toxins, or mycotoxins, from the fungus that can be released into the air of the tainted environment.

In a study conducted, researchers found that one strain of Stachybotrys mold can cause an array of health conditions including respiratory, immunologic, and neurologic symptoms in an individual exposed to this dangerous form of mold.

What are the real dangers associated with black mold and how can you eliminate this hazardous mold from your personal indoor environment?

How Common is Black Mold?

Mold is a fairly common fungus that grows in indoor environments such as homes and office buildings, particularly in indoor environments where the ideal conditions are present for mold to grow. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the most common indoor molds are the species called Cladosporium, penicillium, Alternaria, and aspergillus. The feared black mold, however, is not among the list of common molds that are typically found in homes and is rather a rare form of mold that is unlikely to be found growing in a home.

Black mold is a mold that is often caused by a long existing moisture problem in the environment. This usually occurs in an indoor space that has been left vacant for a long-extended period of time such as a vacant home or even a basement that has not been entered for a long-period of time.

Can Black Mold Make You Sick?

If black mold is present in your environment and you are exposed to this fungus and the toxins, or mycotoxins, that it produces than the adverse health effects can be potentially significant. Black mold poisoning or exposure can appear to be acute at first sign, with symptoms imitating those of a respiratory tract infection like the flu or a common cold. These symptoms will progress as more exposure occurs to the black mold and can even progress further in those individuals with other health conditions that weaken the immune system.

The symptoms associated with black mold exposure includes the following:

  • Coughing
  • Wheezing
  • Stuffy nose
  • Red eyes
  • Itchy skin
  • Sore throat
  • Nosebleeds
  • Headaches
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Allergic reactions
  • General fatigue
  • Inflammation of the sinuses

How Do You Get Rid of Black Mold

The removal of black mold from an indoor environment can be a lengthy process to treat both the surfaces and importantly the air in the tainted environment. When it comes to removing the black mold from a surface such as a wall, ceiling, or flooring it will be necessary to hire a specialist to conduct this removal, they are commonly referred to as mold remediation specialists. These specialists will come into the environment and efficiently and completely remove the black mold from the contaminated surfaces.

Treating the air that has been contaminated by black mold and the toxins that the mold produces into the air can be an extensive process, but with the help of an efficient air purifier it can be accomplished to improve the air quality within the environment. The EnviroKlenz Air Purifier is a highly effective mold removal air purifier that utilizes a combination of patented earth mineral technology and UVC lights to effectively kill any collect microorganisms (such as bacteria, viruses, and mold spores).

EnviroKlenz UV Air Purifier Effectiveness Against Mold

The following experiment was set up to illustrate the impact of the UVC light in the EnviroKlenz Air System.  Two EnviroKlenz Air Systems were set up in the same indoor air environment with HEPA filters installed.  HEPA filters are designed to capture a broad range of particulate mater 0.3 microns in size and larger.

In one system the UVC light bulbs were turned on, while in the other system UVC lights were not used.  The systems were allowed to collect particulate matter for 1 week.  After the week of collection ended, the systems were turned off and the HEPA surface was sampled with sterile collection swaps and streaked on to the nutrient agar plates (MEA).  The plates were then allowed to incubate for 10 days.

In the image above, the plates are observed.  The MEA plate on the left has mold growth.  This was the sample collected from the system without the UVC lights running, while the sample on the right shows the UVC light being on killed the mold and the resulting plate with no growth observed.

The Cleanest Air
Your Home Has Ever Had.

EnviroKlenz Mobile Air System
(Standard Model)


EnviroKlenz Mobile Air System
(UV-C Model)


WordPress Video Lightbox Plugin